For years I have seen people on cooking shows make fennel salads and it all looks so fun and different, but I had never done it before. UNTIL NOW. I was surprised at the taste – it’s a little bit sweet, but still yummy. It definitely added a unique flavor. Kinda fun to try and I want to do it again with a different dressing.
Oh and don’t mind the photos- I went a little overboard with the feta cheese. 🙂
Shaved Fennel Salad (original recipe from 101cookbooks.com)
- 1 medium-large zucchini, sliced into paper thin coins
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed and shaved paper-thin
- 2/3 cup loosely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- fine grain sea salt
- 4 or 5 generous handfuls arugula
- Honey, if needed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (I used almonds)
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Combine the zucchini, fennel and dill in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside and marinate for 20 minutes, or up to an hour.
When you are ready to serve the salad, put the arugula in a large bowl. Scoop all of the zucchini and fennel onto the arugula, and pour most of the lemon juice dressing on top of that. Toss gently but thoroughly. Taste and adjust with more of the dressing, olive oil, lemon juice, or salt if needed. If the lemons were particularly tart, you may need to counter the pucker-factor by adding a tiny drizzle of honey into the salad at this point. Let your taste buds guide you. Serve topped with pine nuts and feta.
Serves 4 to 6.