Part 1 of this book summary can be found here.
Chapter 4 – Feeding Your Family for Superior Health
- A mother’s diet 12 months before conception can influence the future child’s health (!).
- The following are risky for pregnant/nursing mothers:
- Herbs & high-dose supplements, Large doses of Vitamin A
- Fish, mollusks, shellfish, sushi
- Hot tubs/saunas
- Artificial Colors/Nitrates
- Household Cleaners, Paint Thinners
- Cat Litter
- Raw Milk/Cheese, soft cheeses, blue cheese
- Deli Meats, Hot dogs
- Take a multivitamin daily plus a DHA supplement
- Dr. Fuhrman includes a plan of how to introduce a baby to solid goods, stressing not to introduce it earlier than 6 months.
- Concerning Picky Eaters: 25% of children eat fast food french fries daily.
- Only permit healthy food in your home.
- Food preferences are formed by one’s food environment
- Don’t coerce children to eat. They will eat when they are hungry.
- Many clients come to Dr. Fuhrman with concerns that their child is too thin. His answer: they aren’t. Children are born with innate instincts on how much to eat. Some children take a while to fill in to themselves. If they are growing and thriving, they are not too thin.
- This is his recommended Food Guide Pyramid. I LOVE this.
5 Healthy Treats
1. Date nut poppers – dates, ground nuts, cinnamon, carob powder
2. Soaked Dried Fruit – dried apricots, apples, mangos, soaked overnight in nut milk
3. Frozen Banana Whip – frozen bananas w/ soy or nut milk
4. Baked Apples – cored apples filled with applesauce, cinnamon, raisins. Bake 20 minutes
5. Fruit Smoothies
The rest of the book is filled with healthy recipes, and I am seriously considering buying it just for those alone. Loved the book, highly recommend it, and I’m definitely reading his other book, “Eat to Live”as soon as I get my hands on it! If you have young children, are planning on children soon, or are pregnant, this is an awesome read.