Hi all. Hope you had a great weekend. We had this dinner a few nights ago (just over pasta sans shrimp) and it was d-licious. I didn’t even let it simmer for hours like you are supposed to. I’m sure that makes it taste even better. Here’s the recipe.
Spicy Basil Marinara (original recipe and photo from For the Love of Cooking)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, more if desired
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, pureed
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2-3 tsp sugar, optional
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
The whole family loved it! It makes me want to do this every time instead of buying bottled spaghetti sauce. Sometimes those $1.50 a jar things are pretty hard to pass up. But now at least I have a good alternative.