This is seriously delicious! It made a huge old batch and none of us minded eating it 3 days in a row. I knew I was full but my fork was on auto pilot. That’s okay because it’s good for you too.
This picture doesn’t do it justice…imagine fresh tomatoes, avocados, and sour cream on top. YUM.
Southwest Rice and Bean Salad (original recipe from Enlightened Homemaker)
- 5 cups cooked brown rice, cooled slightly
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 4 cups beans of choice, either home cooked or canned
- 2 cups fresh or frozen white corn, cooked
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes
- avocados, peppers, chicken, etc.
**Mix all together and toss with dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. sucanat or brown sugar
- 2/3 c. expeller pressed grape seed oil
- 6-8 pickled jalapeno pepper rounds from jar or fresh jalapeno
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
Combine all ingredients and put in a blender until smooth.
Toss over rice and bean salad mixture and add more salt and pepper as desired. May also kick it up a bit with extra chili powder or chipotle seasoning. Serve on whole grain tortilla with a little melted cheese if desired or on a toasted corn tortilla or lettuce greens.
We also dipped chips in it to spice up the leftovers. Give it a try. This is my new favorite dinner!