My friend was just telling me about a tea party she went to and she mentioned scones. After that I couldn’t get it out of my head. I had to make them! Luckily I found this recipe to quiet my craving and feed the hungry animals (kids). The family will be so happy for something new since we’ve kind of been in a breakfast rut. Super easy and delicious.
Blueberry Oat Scones (Originally adapted from Weelicious).
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour (I used white wheat)
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats (also know as 5 minute oats)
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter (1 stick), chilled & cubed
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Blueberries (if using frozen blueberries, add to the batter while frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients until combined.
3. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, rub the butter into the flour/oat mixture until is resembles coarse meal.
4. Whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla in a separate bowl.
5. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the flour/oat mixture and using a fork, stir until combined.
6. Stir in the blueberries until just combined.
7. Scoop out about 2 tbsp of the batter per scone onto a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet (I like using an ice cream scooper for this.)
8. Bake for 20 minutes.
I actually have a scone pan, so it made about 10 regular sized scones. Give it a try for a yummy breakfast or snack.