Oh my goodness. I just barely got back in town from a week long vacation (heavenly) and wow- there is a lot to do. While I get my act together, here’s a delicious recipe I made the other night. I am always on the lookout for a yummy tortilla soup and this one is seriously no hassle as you can just dump it in the crock pot and go. The best part is that it uses up all my odds and ends vegetables I have lying around.
Crock Pot Tortilla Soup (original recipe from Super Healthy Kids)
- 1 lb. cooked and chopped meat of choice (I used some shredded chicken I had leftover in the freezer)
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (or 3 cups of finely chopped fresh tomatoes. I had fresh tomatoes, so I used those up)
- 2 cups frozen corn (or 1 can, 15 ounce corn)
- 2 cups black beans (or 1 can 15 ounce black beans)
- 2 cups red kidney beans (or 1, 15 ounce can)
- 1 envelope Ranch seasoning mix (Or use recipe below, which is what I did)
- 2 TBL Taco seasoning
- 1 small onion, chopped
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker, and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
To avoid the packaged Ranch seasoning mix, make your own. This recipe comes from reader Lisa L!
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Consensus: EVERYONE ate it and loved it. YAHOO!! Thumbs up all around. Thanks for the great recipe Super Healthy Kids!!