K guys, this is easy breezy! I love making homemade pizza, especially when we each get our own personal mini pizza. Here’s the recipe (originally adapted from Weelicious):
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (Makes Four 8 inch Pizza Dough Disks)
- 1 Package Dry Yeast
- 1 1/3 Cups Lukewarm Water
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
1. Combine yeast and water in a bowl and allow to stand until foamy, about 5 minutes (Make sure to check the expiration date on the yeast. If it doesn’t foam, your yeast may be old and you will need to buy fresh yeast). Here is my yeast not foaming. Does anyone know why? It’s not close to the expiration date. What am I doing wrong? This is my problem with bread too. Is there a trick to this?
2. Stir the flour and salt in a bowl.
3. Add the olive oil and honey to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
4. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and knead the dough on a clean surface for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. You want the dough to be smooth and bounce back when you press it.
5. Place in an oiled bowl and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 seconds. Cut into 4 equal balls and form each into rounds and flatten with your hands into a disk. Let the 4 disks rest for 5 minutes.
8. Take a disk and pull and stretch the dough until it is approximately 9 inches across. You want the dough to be thin so it will get really crispy.
9. Bake the pizza dough for 5 minutes, remove and top with sauce, cheese and veggies and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
You can also freeze this dough for up to 3 months! Amazing.
I used SALSA as a sauce and it was awesome! Such a different flavor and it added a nice kick. I just opened my fridge and took out a bunch of veggies I had in there: kale, tomoatoes, peppers, and cheese.
The Mr.: Scarfed it down and finished what I couldn’t
Me: Loved it.
The Wild One: Loved it! I am pleasantly surprised. He did pick off the kale, but he ate the rest. yahoo!
Tornado: Ate it and about 5000 other things in the house and went to bed with a big swollen belly. Hopefully that will help him sleep until 9. Like that has ever happened. But a girl can dream right?
Here’s a pizza tip. Remember my goals about simplifying my life while I have small babies in the house and I am limited in my time? My neighbor gave me this fabulous idea to get bread dough from the bakery at the grocery store. It’s the same price as buying a baked loaf, and cuts the pizza making time in half. She brought me some pizza she made with sourdough the other day and it was heavenly. I might be trying that in the near future.