I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. Mine was wonderful because the boys and I are in southwest Arizona getting completely pampered by my parents. It is warm and peaceful, and the kids are loving splashing around in the pool (in October!) eating dirt, and chasing lizards. Boy stuff.
Anyway, here is a word about being healthy while on vacation. It’s a tricky thing, especially when you are a guest at someone’s house and therefore not in charge of the grocery shopping, the menu, or the schedule of events. One time we were on a short vacation as guests and I was so stressed because I was feeding my little baby some Pilsbury biscuits or something. I was telling The Mr. how guilty I felt putting that stuff in my baby’s mouth and he said, “Granola Mom, you are being ridiculous. That’s like the first processed food he’s had in his entire life. He’s going to be fine.” And you know what? He was. He didn’t grow a third ear or even have to be hospitalized! It all worked out. Turns out I was just being a little psycho! Once I decided to do the best I could, and then just enjoy ourselves and our company, I had a lot more fun.
Nice try guys, but this doesn’t actually mean we can hurry and eat the whole pan of brownies (aw nuts)! Have a brownie. Eat a banana. Go for a walk. That should do it. Just do what you can, make healthy choices, eat until you are comfortable, and move on!
Here’s a great Monday munchies fix. The recipe is from Weelicious.
And it was a SMASHING hit if I do say so myself.**
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 Cup Agave Nectar (I used sugar though)
- 3/4 Cup Rice, Almond, Low fat or Whole Milk
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tsp Lemon Zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a muffin tin or line tins with cupcake papers.
3. Sift the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to mix.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, agave nectar, milk, and lemon juice, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth making sure not to over mix.
6. Pour the batter into 12 muffin cups, dividing evenly. Bake on a center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
**The only downside is that giving this to Tornado and The Wild One means the number of times I swept the floor went up from six to five hundred thousand twenty two.